Last week was a complete disaster for the climate alarmists, and recent events only promise that things are going to get much worse. Toto finally peaked behind the curtain. On Wednesday the House passed a bill that would require the EPA to release its data to the public.
Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, said “the days of ‘trust me’ science are over,” adding that the House bill would restore confidence in the EPA’s decision-making process.
Personally, I was shocked that that wasn’t already a requirement. Just what is the purpose of a taxpayer funded agency designed to serve the public’s interest keeping its data and methods secret? Worse yet, this secret data must have been used to influence the Supreme Court’s recent costly decision to label CO2 a pollutant. Stalin would have been very proud of this system, but it has no place in an open and free Democracy. Not surprising however 198 Representatives voted against it, and I bet you can guess what party they are from. I didn’t know Mother Nature’s medical records were protected under HIPPA.
Connecticut Rep. Elizabeth Esty and other Democrats said the bill would cripple EPA’s ability to conduct scientific research based on confidential medical information and risks privacy violations by exposing sensitive patient data.
Republicans should take this decision a bit further and not only demand the release of the studies and data but also demand “reproducibility” of the studies supporting the EPA regulation. Recently it was discovered that much of the research published in major journals like Nature and Science magazine are not reproducible. This throws the entire “peer-review” process and the “consensus” that results from such “authorities” into question. Climate alarmists never argue data, facts, experiments, they argue “consensus” “peer-review” and computer models. The lack of reproducibility completely destroys the main pillars holding up the entire AGW movement. Without reproducibility, there is no real science. Science that isn’t reproducible is nothing more than witchcraft, black magic, and sorcery performed by Oracles and Soothsayers, not real scientists.
Additional safeguards would be to divide and compartmentalize any major research initiative. The problem with climate “science” is that power is extremely concentrated in the hands of very few self-interested organizations that control the entire process both vertically and horizontally. When the military designs a new weapon system, the process is designed so that no one person knows or controls all the parts. Things are done on a “need to know” basis. The Federal Government should treat the EPA, FDA, DOE, DOE like they treated Standard Oil and break up the Monopolies. People like Michale “Climate Crusader” Mann should never be given power in such easily corruptible systems.
NOAA/NASA and HADCRU should break the temperature reconstruction process into their fundamental components.
- Data Collection: Google/Oracle/IBM/ADP could bid to collect all the temperature data from all the temperature centers.
- Data Compilation: Google/Oracle/IBM/ADP could bid to compile the data in raw form.
- Data Adjustment: A transparent open source method could be created for “adjusting” the data. No longer would a single person or small group make those decisions.
- Data Analysis: Statistical research firms like IBM, SAP or Oracle should be hired. Considering the decisions made based upon the conclusions may cost the taxpayers TRILLIONS of dollars, this work is simply too important for government workers.
- Data Interpretation: If research universities are going to play a part in developing the climate models and policy proposals they simply must demonstrate a political diversity of their staff. No conservative would have ever signed off on this climate change nonsense.
- Published Research: If published research is to be used, it must me reproducible by independent bodies, and the scientific method must have been applied.
Also on Wednesday, the climate science equivalent of the Titanic hitting the iceberg occurred when Michael “I’m a Victim” Mann got completely owned by Dr. Judith Curry in the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology: Hearings on Climate Change, and inadvertently gave the climate “deniers” the battle plan on how to defeat the climate alarmists. That “battle plan” will be detailed in future blog posts, so stay tuned. BTW, Michael “Owned by Judith Curry” Mann used “denier” 4 times in his written testimony.